Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Words and Music

Music and song are inextricably linked with God's glory. Moses sang," I will sing to the Lord, for He is highly exalted." (Ex.15:1)
Deborah, the biblical judge and prophetess sang," I will sing to the Lord, I will sing; I will make music to the Lord, the God of Israel." (Judges 5:2)
David, the psalmist, sang, " It is good to praise the Lord and make music to Your name, O Most High." (Psalm 9: 1)
Dear reader, the next time you listen to a beautiful piece of music, meditate on God's greatness and thank Him for creating in you the capacity to enjoy rhythm, melody and harmony. We may not even know why some music moves us. Listen to Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings." Why is it that a few well-placed dissonances in Barber's orchestral score proceed through our ears, to be translated in our brains as pleasure so intensely sweet that tears sting our eyes?
I believe music elicits a deep longing in our souls for intimacy with our Creator. He made us; He made music. We know instinctively that music is our spirit's quest to connect with that Someone Who, similarly, longs to connect with each one of us.
Tell me what music does for you?

(all scriptures taken the Holy Bible, New International Version, copyright 1973,1978,1984 International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers)

1 comment:

  1. I too have always loved Barber's "Adagio for Strings", and especially the penultimate moment when the dissonance is just about to resolve. It brings me near tears. Most of my favorite music are minor melodies or from Requiem masses (Faure, Brahms, Rutter) which I sometimes worry reflects a touch of depression, but they strike me as SO beautiful. I suppose it's because they remind me of the transience of our lives on this earth--the heartbeat running through Rutter's "Libera Me" marking the passing of time, the joy and sorrow of seeing our children grow up, and our personal dreams being fulfilled, changing or dying. It may be God's way of reminding us of the potential we lose by turning from him, and the sorrow he feels in our separation.
    I also love upbeat music that energizes, amuses or entrances me. It is definitely a gift from God that enriches our lives.

    ReplyDelete