Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, November 19, 2009

June's Norwegian Meatballs

Many of you read my last post on the passing of my dear Aunt June. Besides begin a wonderful singer, she also spread a great table for the holidays. I remember her long dining room table laden with Turkey, Ham, pickled herring, boller (dumplings), julekake, and especially glogg.
She served her Norwegian meatballs with a rich brown sauce. I think of her every time I make them.
Here's the recipe:

3/4 Ib lean ground beef
1/4 Ib ground pork
1 cup toasted bread crumbs
one egg
one onion, minced
1 tsp salt and a pinch pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 T. butter
1/2 cup cream

Soak bread crumbs in cream. Add all ingredients except butter. Form into one inch balls; slowly brown in butter, add sauce and keep warm till serving.

Sauce:
2 cups cold water
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 or 3 T. Wilsons BV sauce

Dissolve flour in water. Add seasonings, BV sauce and butter. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. When thick and bubbling, turn down and simmer 30 minutes.

I am so grateful for my mother and father, my aunts and uncles, for our shared heritage of Scandinavian roots, for my grandparent's safe passage to America, their years of struggle and triumph through poverty, war and illness.Their stories, their traditions, their foods, their songs are alive in my heart. Thank you, God, for family.

No comments:

Post a Comment