Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Friday, January 1, 2010

I've read so many posts in the past few days about the ending of one year and the dawning of another. So many people look with eagerness to what 2010 will bring. It's as if, with the turning of a calendar page, all the unpleasantness, strife and struggle of one year could be forgotten and fresh,wonderful new experiences crowd at the door, just waiting to tumble over the threshold.

On New Year's Eve I watched the celebration at Times Square, hosted by Dick Clark and marveled at all the people literally kissing 2009 goodbye.

Now it is New Year's Day and I and thousands others begin the year with plans to exercise more, read more, pray more, and be kinder to other drivers.

I'm not sure I ever truly succeed in my resolutions, except that I become more aware of how I fall short of the ideal. (I didn't lose weight in 2009, my life required more time at the computer, so I didn't exercise more, and I'm not sure I was kinder to other motorists.)

There is One Who always makes good on His promises, though. "I know Whom I have believed and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him for that day." (2 Tim. 1:12)
Unlike my foolhardy resolutions, Christ is determined to make me like Him and He does not give up halfway through the exercise. "God, Who has called you into fellowship with His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful." (1 Cor. 1:9)

2009 was a blessed year. Not because great things happened, or because I accomplished lofty goals. But simply because I know that God is faithful and that He is accomplishing wondrous things even if I cannot always see them with my physical eyes.

2010 will also be a blessed year.

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of goals for the coming year, but they happened organically. I mean, they came out of things that God has been doing in my life. I made the goals because I made the goals, not because it was the New Year.

    When God is behind it, there is purpose and motivation behind the goal. New Year's resolutions tend not to last because they are artificial, contrived because it's the New Year. When goals are organic, they work.
    Good thoughts, Dena
    www.redhotread.com

    ReplyDelete