Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dyson Never Gave Up and So Shouldn't you!

While I was waiting to see my doctor this morning I picked up a copy of Newsweek. At the back was an interesting article about James Dyson, the guy who invented the Dyson vacuum cleaner.
That man was like Thomas Edison with the light bulb. He just didn't give up.
The article stated that he tried 5000 versions of the vacuum before he got it right.
He'd given up his job, and his wife supported him while he worked non-stop on his invention.
Then he tried to market his idea to all the major vacuum cleaner makers. None of them liked his idea. One guy even said that people would be so digusted by seeing all the dirt in the bagless, clear container that they'd never consider using it at home.
Finally, Dyson realized that if he wanted to market and sell his vacuum cleaner, he'd have to do it himself.
When the first model came out, in the 90s, it sold big.
Dyson refused to listen to naysayers. He went with his gut. And it paid off. His machine is now a household word.
That's a lesson for us all, and in particular my fellow writers. Yes, you should listen to the professionals in your industry. But sometimes you just gotta go with your gut.
And in the spiritual realm, when God has something specific for you to do, He rarely tells everyone else about it. It's up to you to listen and go with His directive.

What has God called you to do? Be like James Dyson: never give up!

"Take my life and let it be  consecrated Lord to Thee.
Take my moments and my days, let them flow in ceaseless praise,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my voice and let me sing always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be filled with messages from Thee,
filled with messages from Thee." (Take my Life and Let It Be, F. Havergal/H. Malan)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Dena. I'm thankful God has placed you in my life to encourage me in my writing, as well as my walk with Jesus. (Love the hymn - one of my favorites.)

    ReplyDelete