Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Outrunning the Moon

When I was a child, growing up in northern California, I loved to travel. Of course, with two parents and five kids, travel was always by car.
That was fine for me. I loved to sit back and get lost in viewing the changing landscape as the car sped by coastal hills, merged onto larger highways and eventually reached the miles of central valley agriculture.
One of the things that fascinated me when I was six or seven years old was the way the rows and rows of artichokes, or onions, or what-not seemed to stretch into the distance like rows of long, skinny legs. As the car zipped along parallel to the crops, the rows seemed to run along with us as if to race us to our destination.
If we drove at night, the crops blurred into oblivion. The moon would take the next watch.
He'd rise slowly in the night sky. When he got high enough, I'd see his big grin. And if I was in the right mood, I'd silently dare the moon to a race.
We always seemed to be neck and neck. I'd tell my father, "faster, Daddy. The moon's getting ahead."
My dad would chuckle and press his foot to the accelerator for just a second.
When I became a teenager, the moon ceased to be a racing competitor. He became a beautiful confidant, to tell my longings to.
The moon has always been there, thank God.
God was always there, too, in my thoughts as our family made our little journeys. At first, I did not know Him well; he was more of an idea, a kind of imaginary playmate.
But in my teens, I came to know Him in a personal way.
Time and troubles came and I ran to my big Friend more and more.
Like the moon, He was always there, even when clouds obscured His face.
Sometimes, I tried to outrace God, just so I could go my own way.
But no matter how hard I ran, there was never a place I could hide.
No matter what I do, what I say, where I go, He's there.
He's even in my head. Even there I can't escape His presence.
Most of the time, that's a comfort. But it's a little disconcerting that He and I share space brain space even when I'm thinking less than good thoughts.
I'm glad I've made friends with God, through Jesus.
It must be terrible to be on bad terms with God and not be able to get away from Him, don't you think?

"Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there.
If I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
If I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
and your right hand will hold me fast." (Psalm 139:7-10, NIV Bible)

4 comments:

  1. Ever present.....seems to sum it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it that He says He'll never leave us or forsake us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad God wants to have a relationship with us. I can't imagine where I would be if He hadn't pursued me. Nice post, Dena.

    ReplyDelete