Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thank You!

"I always thank God for you." (1 Cor. 4)
"I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers." (Eph. 1:15)
"I thank my God every time I remember you." (Phil 1:3)
"We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you. . . " (Col. 1:3)

Wouldn't you love to receive a letter beginning like that?
Wouldn't you love to hear that someone is not only praying for you, but thanking God for you?

What incredible affirmation. And how we each need that. I thank God for you.

I wonder how God feels when we thank Him. He must be delighted.

Can you remember a time that someone said you were their answer to prayer?
Weren't you  extremely blessed and privileged to hear that expression of thanks.

But think about the "thanker."
He or she is equally blessed by doing the thanking.

Thankfulness is a truly wonderful thing.
The act of thanking lifts one out of a state of gloominess, or uncertainty, or grouchiness.
It's hard to remain negative once you begin to thank God for someone or something.
The act of thanking causes the mind to focus on God, His character, His power, His love, His generosity.
Then the heart follows.

This "sacrifice of praise" unleashes God's Spirit within the believer.
God delights to work in and through the heart of a thankful believer.

Try this: stop whatever you're doing for about ten seconds. Say, "Lord, thank you so much for. . . . "
Try to do this at least three times a day.
You'll be amazed at how the trials of the day shift perspective, as you recognize God's hand in your everyday experiences.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." (Col. 3:15)

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." (Col. 3:17)

2 comments:

  1. We were sitting at a church supper last weekend when a good friend patted my hand. "I love you." Her spontaneous gesture and words warmed my heart.

    Sometimes it's the little things that are the most meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, When my family first started attending our current church, our worship pastor told me, "you're an answer to prayer." Wow! I was just thinking how that church was OUR answer to prayer.
    Thanks for your warm words.

    ReplyDelete