The other day a woman posted on Facebook that she had had it with her local church. She intimated that she 'd had a falling out with her pastor. Her response was to chuck church altogether.
After all, she stated, only the Body of Christ (the universal church) is the true body.
I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I asked her to clarify how she distinguished the Body of Christ from the people who form the local body of Christ.
She said that the local church was man's idea of how to worship, therefore it was fraught with problems and hypocrisy.
I was very gentle in my response to this statement, but I reminded her that the local body of Christ was Christ's idea, not man's. I mentioned that the Epistles were largely written to encourage various local churches throughout Asia.
I hope you're not considering going it alone when it comes to being a believer and disciple of Christ.
But here are TEN GOOD REASONS to seek out and get involved in a local body of believers:
- Jesus commanded us to "make disciples." Hard to do this all by yourself! (Matt. 28: 18-20)
- The Holy Spirit (at Pentecost) met the believers as they assembled together. Then He indwelt them. (Acts 2)
- The early church regularly met together to worship, pray, remember Jesus's death. (Acts 2:42)
- The early church organized to serve the individual members. Acts Acts 6, Acts. 12:12, Acts 13:1-3, etc.)
- Paul, Christ's chosen apostle to the gentiles (most of us) exhorted us "." (Let us not give up meeting together. . . "
- The Old Testament Priests and Prophets assumed that believers met together to worship God (Psalm 35: 18)
- People who get involved in church are generally healthier physically and emotionally.
- God has given us spiritual gifts in order to benefit others in the church.
- When you fall on hard times, the church is there to minister to you.
- The local body pools its resources to reach out to the community in service.
Don't just go off into nature to worship Jesus. He is saddened when you refuse to unite with other Believers. You need others who love Jesus. And they need you.
"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Romans 15:5 NIB Bible)