Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Love Letters

Years ago when Bruce and I were engaged we were separated for several months. He'd graduated from the University of Michigan in the Fall semester and I still had one more semester to go. He went back home to Illinois to make some money and I remained in Ann Arbor to finish my studies, work on my Master's Recital, be a graduate teaching assistant, rehearse for an opera, and plan a wedding.
Bruce promised me that he'd write every day. Each afternoon I ran down the hall to check my mailbox. Sure enough, there was a letter waiting. And such letters. Such tender words about his love, his prayers for me, his wishes for our future life together.
The months of that last semester were busy ones, but lonely ones, too. Bruce's letters reassured me each day that he still pined for me, loved me, looked forward to our wedding, thought of no other woman but me.
Those words from my beloved kept me going, encouraged me, inspired me. I knew that in a short time I'd be reunited with Bruce and then we wouldn't be separated anymore.
I've kept those wonderful letters; there's quite a stack of them. From time to time I re-read some of them. Bruce's words have remained true for over thirty years. When we've had occasional difficulties I remember how he faithfully wrote to me each day. His goodness and faithfulness shine through those handwritten pages, helping me continue to see him as my hero.

I have other letters not written by Bruce, but precious to me, as well. They contain words of promises, words of love, words of encouragement, too. I've read the words so much that they are forever inscribed on my heart:
"Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel. God with us."
"For unto us a child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders.
And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, the mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."
God loved, God promised, God fulfilled. Then God reminds us that He has indeed performed miracles in our midst: God with us!
What letters.
What a faithful Beloved.

(scriptures taken from NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment