Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, April 12, 2010

In God Alone

My twenty-one year old daughter is an athlete. Kiri discovered jui jitsu when she was dating Wayne (now her husband). With a world famous trainer, talent, and consistent grueling practice, Kiri has moved up the ranks quickly. Last year she won both the Pan Ams and the World Championship jui jitsu tournaments in her weight and belt.
Kiri won the Pan Am Competition again just last week.

This week she's on her way to the tiny middle eastern country of United Arab Emirate to compete in the Abu Dhabi world competition.

I'm a mom.
And I'm scared.

Jui jitsu is mostly a man's sport. The guys that come to these tournaments are big --usually tattooed --tough, macho, with muscles most of us didn't even imagine existed.
Fortunately, Kiri doesn't have to spar with those guys.
She wrestles other women. But the're tough, too.
Injuries happen. Some of the choke holds the competitors use make you lose consciousness. Arms get broken.
This traveling to an Arab country makes me even more nervous.
I'm glad Wayne's going with her.

My fear for my daughter shows just how far I still need to grow in trusting God's loving protection and provision.

Kiri is my Achille's heal, my weak spot, my missing chink of armor. If ever the enemy wants to make me fearful, all he has to do is send a little fiery arrow of imagination right through that little unguarded spot in my spirit. He "helps" me envision all the terrible things that could happen to my precious daughter.

But my fear drives me to my knees. Kiri and I are both little chicks that have learned to scurry under the wing of Mother Hen.
There is is no security greater than the security provided by our Heavenly Father. No greater love, no greater wisdom, no greater grace.

Kiri will be gone for an entire week and during that time this is the scripture I'll be reading, praying and clinging to:
"My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." (Psalm 62:1,2)

You parents know the fear I wrestle with. What's your most precious comforting Bible verse?

2 comments:

  1. Dena, how proud you must be of Kiri. My children are my achille's heal too. No matter how old they are they are still my babies and I want to protect them.
    My comforting bible verse is Psalm 91.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, Psalm 91 is one of my favorites. The Lord has used it time and again to comfort me. Being a mom sure helps us grow in faith, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete