Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, April 5, 2010

People are people, God is God

We had a snow storm about a week and a half ago. Big, wet flakes so typical of early Spring in the Rockies. The weather-man predicted that one with great accuracy.
Then he said it'd be nice and warm last week.
Good! I'm so sick of winter. I'm looking forward to some warmth.
I started envisioning myself sitting on the back deck, reading a good book, soaking up some much-needed vitamin D.
The warm weather never panned out. Instead, I watched the cool clouds rise, surmount Twin Sisters, then roll down and settle into the forested depressions between the peaks. Temperatures hovered around thirty degrees. Gale-force winds buffetted our cedar walls. Occasional hail pelted the windows.
Weather-man, I hate you!
Isn't it like that with all of our human relationships? My friends and associates are wonderful people when they deliver on their promises. Big failures when they don't.
Why are we surprised when people disappoint? Why do we expect people to be like God?
I once heard a sermon that has stayed in my head for over twenty years. Yes, it was that significant.
The message was simply: People are people and God is God. Don't get the two mixed up.
No one can predict the weather with 100 percent accuracy. Only God can.
No one can love me perfectly and consistently. Only God can.
No one --including the weather-man -- keeps his or her promises all the time.
No one --including me --always tells the truth, always says the wise thing, always exhibits perfect patience, perfect control, perfect courage, perfect peace.
People are people.
God is God.
Don't get the two mixed up.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment