Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, May 24, 2010

Storms: God's Gift

When I went to the Colorado Christian Writers' Conference mid-May, we had snow like you've never seen this time of year. I felt sorry for all of the conferees coming from out-of-state. They were probably looking forward to enjoying Colorado's high country: sapphire skies, intense sun, being able to sit outside with a good book, touring Rocky Mountain National Park.
The day that the conference ended, the sun finally peeked through the clouds.
Then we had a week of splendid weather.
I'm so glad my husband and I were able to get out and hike around Sprague Lake on Saturday morning before the weather turned again.
Good grief, doesn't Mother Nature know it's a few days shy of June?
What gives?

The weather provides such great metaphors for life:

"Blue skies, nothing but blues for me and my gal."
"Follow every rainbow, till you find your dream."
"Grey skies are gonna clear up. Put on a happy face."
"The sun'll come up tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow. . . "
"I've looked at clouds from both sides now. . . "
"Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy."

As a singer, I could go on and on with the weather references in songs.
Blue skies and sunshine mean peace, security, and an end to our troubles.
But just as I whine when the snow and rain keep me inside, I also acknowledge that my trees and shrubs need that moisture.
I don't like emotional strife, insecure financial times or physical pain. But these inconveniences make me crave the presence of God.
Just as a sturdy roof, wind-proof walls and a warm fire in the hearth bring me physical comfort, so does God's loving presence provide peace in a time of turmoil.

I'm almost afraid to pray this because God does indeed answer prayer, but:
"God, may my storms be small, but if it takes a big storm to bring me to my knees,
Bring it on!

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him.
He will be like a tree, planted by the water, that send out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." (Jer. 17: 7,8)

No comments:

Post a Comment