Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, July 19, 2010

I got an email the othe day. Typed at the bottom was a Chinese proverb:
"A misty morning does not signify a cloudy day."

I grew up in and around San Francisco. In the morning, the sea air sometimes contained so much moisture that it'd make you cough when you took your first outdoor breath. But some San Francisco mornings commence to spectacular. afternoons. (See the above picture.)
San Diego, where my daughter and son-in-law live is similar. The day begins with sea fog, then burns off to become a beautiful 70ish day.

There's another way you can think about this proverb, obviously. If your day, your week, your year begins as dark and cloudy, does that necessarily mean that it must continue, even end that way?
How can you get out from under that oppressive cloud?

Is the cloud of your own making? Are you holding on to negative feelings? Anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, worry?

"Bear with each other, and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Col. 3:13)

Are you focusing on inconsequential things? Have you forgotten to thank God for big and little things surrounding you?

"Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name. Praise the Lord, O my soul and forget not all His benefits." (Ps.103: 1,2)

Are you struggling with a great burden? Seek the Lord, seek His Word, seek trusted counsel.

"First seek the counsel of the Lord." (2 Ch. 18:4)

"I will praise the Lord who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." (Ps. 16:7)

Answers to why we live under a dark cloud are seldom simple. But God's word is always a good place to start. And sometimes the dark cloud lifts when we:

repent. . . or thank Him. . . or seek Him.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. I think the big thing for me was touched on in several of those verses: praise.
    If I can think to put on some praise music or sing or pray some praise then it can go along way in turning things around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Kay. The music helps me shift focus from myself to Him. Yes!

    ReplyDelete