Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, September 13, 2010

Type 2 Love Resistance

I've been reading articles on diabetes and insulin resistance. It's getting to be quite common. I don't know if it's because we're sitting around more, exercising less, eating foods that have lots of bad stuff in them, eating larger portions, or what. Maybe it's a combination of all of these.

Anyway, the articles explain that after pouring out insulin for so many years, either the pancreas gets tired and can't quite do the job as well, or our cells get so they don't recognize the "doorbell" that says, "Open up and let the glucose come in, please."

As a result, the much-needed glucose can't get into the cells to power them. This glucose-run-amuck wanders around in the bloodstream causing problems, eventually gets converted into fat, then stored in places we don't want it. Like the belly.

I've noticed that same thing happen in marriages. One spouse needs something. The other spouse doesn't quite speak the right language. Result: an unmet need.
Over time, a husband or wife just shuts down and quits being receptive to the spouse. Condition: Love Resistance.
Just like diabetes (type 2), the problem isn't so bad at first. If you catch it early and do the right things, you can arrest or even reverse the disease.
But if you let the condition persist over years, the effects can be devastating. Heart disease, blindness, numbness. Those are just a few of the consequences.
These articles on diabetes sure gave me a lot to examine, not only about my physical condition, but about my marriage.
I hope I recognize and stop any "Love Resistance" before it causes my heart to get sick, my eyes to grow blind to my husband, or numbness makes me unable to feel his needs.

That would be awful.

"This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another." (I John 3:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment