Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, May 23, 2011

Look Before You Leap!

When I lived in the Midwest, and later, on the East coast, I used to have run-ins (literally) with tree squirrels. Those cute little critters love to dash out in front of a car, right into the middle of the road, then have a change of mind and dash back to their original side.
 I've seen a squirrel change its mind several times in one street crossing. Poor little things; if they'd just commit themselves to one direction, maybe a car could avoid them. It makes me so sad when I see a dead squirrel lying on the side of the road.

On the Front Range of Colorado, we have the prairie dogs.
Ah, the prairie dogs: those cute, pudgy, dirt-colored, short-tailed, gregarious rodents.
Seems like every sixty seconds one decides to cross the road.
There's one stretch of E-470 that I call Prairie Dog Death Alley.

Up in the mountains where I live, we have our own version of the prairie dog: the ground squirrels. They're not agile enough to do the back and forth can't-make-up-my-mind dance of the tree squirrels. They just hobble out into the road and hope for the best.
Not a good method for crossing the road, judging by the number of dead squirrels smashed on the pavement.

Then there are the deer and elk. Being herd animals, they'll pretty much go wherever the animal in front of it goes. The elk stop traffic for long minutes as a hundred-strong herd decides to follow the lead animal across Hwy 36.

Humans perform crossings too.
Transitions.
Getting over the death of a loved one.
 Healing from a divorce.
Moving on after your children move out.
Recovering from a failed relationship.

Transitions can be dangerous places if not negotiated properly. We do not want emotion to cloud our judgment.
  1. We can jump out into the middle of the road too soon. We're not ready, but the side of the road we're currently on doesn't satisfy us.
  2. We can start to make the transition, then get scared of the change and retreat back to where we came from. Maybe we vacillate time and time again.
  3. We can hesitate on the side of the road, unable to come to a firm decision either way.
If an animal could talk, maybe it would it be asking itself these questions:
Why am I making this change? (job, move, relationship change)
Will the digs across the road really be better for me (and my herd)?
Is this the right time and the right place to make the crossing?
Am I ready for this change, or do I need to do something to prepare?
What are the consequences of this crossing?

If you're a human in transition, consult your guidebook, the Bible.
Stay close to your Heavenly Father in prayer. If you sincerely want His will, He'll warn you of dangers.
Talk it out with wise people in your life.
List the pros and cons.
Make a plan.
Look before you leap!

"In his heart a man plans his course
but the Lord determines his steps." (Proverbs 16:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment