Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, May 16, 2011

Our Footprints in Time

I looked out my office window after a gentle snow had blanketed our driveway. The little critters had already been up and about and left their tracks across the snow.
The tracks are a gentle message for me: "I, squirrel, have been here."
"I, bird, have also been here."
The tracks appear to have been made simultaneously. But that's probably not the case. At least, I don't think a bird and a squirrel would be hob-nobbing together in the snow in the early morning hours.
The tracks move in parallel fashion.
  • You can tell a lot about the animals from the tracks:
  • Both animals are moving from the rock retaining wall toward the bushes under my office widow.
  • They're both small.
  • They're light-weight.
  • They're early risers.
  • The tracks show that both animals are purposeful; neither divert, but move directly toward my bushes.
  • The tracks show that the animals' gaits were consistent, neither pausing or sitting.
When I go out for a walk in the snow my tracks show that I'm probably small, since my boot-prints are small. Also, the length of my stride is not long, so I'm probably not very tall. The depth of my track shows that I'm heavier than a coyote, but not so heavy as a bear. It's clear that I'm not a trespasser since my prints stay on the side of the road. It's also clear from my tracks that I have a definite goal. My tracks do not wander in an aimless fashion.

That got me to thinking about my other "tracks."
You know, the kind that are read by other people's accounts of me.
What kind of tracks have I left?
Would my "tracks" indicate that I am a woman of purpose, a woman who knows where she is going, a woman who moves confidently?
Or do they pause, hesitate, show fear or uncertainty?
And where have my tracks gone?
Do they head to dangerous or unwise places?
Do they regularly move toward church?
Can you follow my tracks to the homes of others, to hospitals, to schools, to places where they can do some good and constructive things for others?
Will friends and neighbors and relatives record mental photos of my tracks and tell others, long after I'm gone, about the interesting places my tracks have been spotted?
I wonder.
What do your "tracks" say about you?

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
who bring good tidings,
who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion, 'your God reigns!'" (Is. 52:7, New International Version)

2 comments:

  1. I love this! What a beautiful word picture you've drawn for us, Dena. My hope is that my tracks glorify God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope my tracks lead the way for others. thanks, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete