Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, October 17, 2011

Lost People Shouldn't Give Directions

Recently at church I heard from a lovely and godly mother whose nearly-grown son continues to make unwise life decisions. A group of us prayed for him, and for his mother, who will need supernatural wisdom in knowing how to deal with him.
As my husband and I drove home from church I shook my head sadly and said, "Wouldn't you think that after making such bad life decisions for several years, a person would eventually come to his or her senses and change direction?"
You know the old definition of insanity: continuing to do the same thing over and over while expecting different results.
I suppose that the need to "go your own way," keeps many people from listening to a voice of reason.
It reminds me of a story of two hunters:

Joe, the hunter had become lost in the woods. Wandering aimlessly, exhausted and nearly dead from the cold, he suddenly stumbled into the camp of another hunter. Tom, the other hunter, welcomed him and helped him sit by his fire. He fed Joe and gave him some hot coffee.
Finally, Tom asked, "So, how did you get lost?"
Joe replied, "I was heading north over Spiny Ridge so I could meet up with County Road 46. My truck is parked a hundred yards south of the intersection of the Cty. Rd and the old logging road."
"Oh, no wonder you got lost," Tom said. "County Road 46 is actually south of Spiny Ridge."
"Can't be," Joe said, shaking his head. "I think I should know where I left my truck."
"Hey," Tom said, "who's the one who's lost here?"

So, if you keep getting yourself into a mess, stop and take a look around. Maybe, for once, it's not just bad luck or some other guy's fault. Maybe it's the direction you're going.
And if you see someone who seems to know where he's going, ask him for directions!

"Listen, my son, to your father's instruction,
and do not forsake your mother's teaching.
They will be a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck." (Prov.1:8 NIV)

"Your word is lamp to my feet
and a light for my path." (Psalm 119:105 NIV)



1 comment: