Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, October 24, 2011

Never Too Late

"It's never too late, in fiction or in life, to revise, " said writer, Nancy Thayer.
What do you think?
Are you too far gone down your path to change?

In an earlier blog I mentioned how Bruce and I hiked up a steep path, thinking we'd eventually hit another path which would circle us back to our starting point. When we discovered our mistake, we turned back. That was kind of a no-brainer.

But what if you're stuck in a career you think might be a mistake?
Or what if your marriage isn't exactly what you'd originally envisioned?
Or suppose you're hanging out with people who seem to lead you in the wrong direction?

I like to play Spider on my computer. It's one of my ways of taking a break from writing and letting my brain get into another groove. The game involves moving cards from one pile into another pile until all the cards are stacked by suit and in order, from King down to Ace. The game tries to trap you (like getting caught in a spider web) by presenting an obvious move that actually is designed to lead you farther and farther from your goal. Sometimes, after I've made a move, I see where it's leading me and I have to quickly backtrack before all my cards are used up and I have nowhere else to move.

The game of life is similar. Some life moves seem like the right choice.
But be wary!
And just because you've made a move doesn't mean --when you discovered you've made a mistake -- that you can't turn around and choose another path.
Perhaps your career needs an overhaul. Or maybe you need to adjust your attitude. Make your revision. Go ahead. Do it.
Maybe your marriage needs a tune-up. Maybe the direction you take when you talk to your spouse leads to a dead-end. Can you back up and try another route?

Maybe the social life you've chosen feels fun at the time, but makes you feel miserable the next day. Do you have to continue down that same path? Sometimes we go down a path because it's the only one we know. But isn't that kind of like a cow or a sheep? You're a lot smarter than a herd animal. Can you put your mind to it, find another route and change direction? 

It's never to late to revise your life.
Just look at the thief who hung on a cross next to Jesus:

"Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with Him (Jesus) to be executed." (Luke 23: 32)
"One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him. 'Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!'
But the other criminal rebuked him. 'Don't you fear God,' he said, 'since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.'
Then he said, 'Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom.'
Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.'" (Luke 23:39-43 NIV Bible)

That criminal realized during his last few hours of life that he'd gone down the wrong life path. He revised his life attitude in the nick of time.

Take a look at your life, and revise.
It's never to late to make a heart or a life change.
Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment