Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad!

I love it!
Everywhere I go people who wait on me at stores and restaurants are greeting and saying goodbye by calling out, "Merry Christmas!
People I hardly know are saying the same thing on the sidewalks outside shops.
Mostly they smile.
The spirit of Christmas has taken over, and it feels wonderful.
But I sense another emotion, just under the surface when people call out "Merry Christmas."
Subtle undertones of triumph, as well as gentle rebellion as I hear individuals proclaim:
"No one's going to take away my Christmas, by Golly."
"Jesus really is the reason for this wonderful season."
"It doesn't matter how many sappy Christmas movies Hollywood turns out about angels, or holiday romances, or restoring the "holiday spirit" -- whatever that is -- they keep churning out each year. We all know we're celebrating Jesus's birthday."

And so I say it too: You're not fooling us, Secularized Hollywood, Secularized Government, Secularized Shopping Centers, Secularized Schools.
Christmas is the celebration of the birth of JESUS CHRIST.
He may not have been born on this exact date, but the truth is, He WAS born.
God entered physical time and space and took on human form.
The hope of humanity.

And so we celebrate His coming. We display lights, we decorate, we send Christmas cards, we assemble, we feast, we give gifts, we sing, we worship.
Because, on the day that Jesus was born, God fulfilled His promise to us to send a Savior who would:

  • end sin's power over us, 
  • exchange for us the punishment of hell for the glory of heaven
  • take away the sting of death,
  • provide the Light of God's never-ending presence
  • provide grace for each day
  • welcome us into an eternal inheritance.

And so, Secularists, if you think I'm going to exchange CHRISTmas for your puny version of "holiday spirit," you are absolutely crazy!

I'm going to keep saying over and over again, "Merry Christmas!"

"Joy to the world, the Lord is come.
Let earth receive her King.
Let ev'ry heart prepare Him room,
and Heaven and nature sing, and heaven and nature sing, and heaven and heaven and nature sing." (Isaac Watts/George Frederick Handel)

No comments:

Post a Comment