Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Worth the Risk

We read and hear a lot about all the male heroes of the Bible: Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Daniel, Peter and John.
Today I started mentally checking off the female heroes of the Bible.
They each have one big thing in common. . .

RISK

RAHAB risked her life to hide the Hebrew spies when they came to look over the land surrounding the city of Jericho. She said, "I know that the Lord has given this land to you." (Joshua 2:9)
She then goes on to relate to the spies how she and her countrymen had heard of the Hebrew God and how He had shown His power among other nations. Because of her faith, God spared her life and the lives of her family. She is mentioned in the book of Hebrews for her great faith.

ESTHER risked her life by speaking up for her fellow Hebrews when they had been scheduled for annihilation under the reign of King Xerxes.

RUTH left her home and family to follow her mother-in-law, Naomi, a Hebrew. Her decision could have resulted in starvation. But God honored her loyalty to Naomi by providing her with a wealthy Hebrew husband. Ruth is the great-grandmother of King David.

MARY chose obedience to God even in the face of possible dishonor and stoning.  She might have been divorced and even stoned to death for becoming pregnant.

My Heroes

These women are my heroes, just as much as the great men of the Bible.
They each demonstrated faith not merely by their words, but by their deeds.

Am I willing to risk my life, my honor, my comfort, my property, my next meal
for the sake of God?
I want to be a risk-taker.
Oh, not the type who base-jump, or race cars, or bungy-jump off of 200 foot bridges.
I mean real risk.
Risk that saves a life,
or loves the unlovely,
or challenges evil,
or meets an impossible goal.
Risk that will count for all eternity.

Is God calling you to risk something? 

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for." (Heb. 11:1-2 NIV Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment