Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

God Speaks to Those Who Listen

I was flipping channels a couple of nights ago, trying to get drowsy enough to actually fall asleep. (A hard thing to do for us insomniacs.)
Then I came across the James and Betty Robison show on one of the Christian channels.
James shared how he loves to get into God's Word and spend time in prayer, listening to God.
One day he was so overwhelmed by the wonderful things God was impressing on his heart as he prayed that he spontaneously said, "Lord, why do you tell me such wonderful things?"
Immediately afterward, he felt God impress an answer into his mind: "Because you love to listen to Me."
Wow. "Because you love to listen to Me."

When I heard James Robison share about his experience, it cut me. . . in a good way.
Because there are times when I don't want to listen to the Lord.
When I'm stewing in a problem and don't want to relinquish it just yet.
Even though God always has a better solution.

But eventually, I can't stay away.
I come back and enter His presence.
He always takes me back.
No harsh words.
No punishment.

Just "I'm so glad to see you, my child."

It occurred to me that when God told James Robison, "Because you love to listen to me," He was also communicating His delight in a servant who not only listens but who is ready to obey.

I think these words "You love to listen to Me," are going to become my mission statement for the coming year.
Do I love to listen to Him?
Am I always ready to obey?

"You are my portion. O Lord.
I have promised to obey your words.
I have sought your face with all my heart. . . " (Psalm 119:57, 58 NIV Bible)





4 comments:

  1. Hi Dena -

    I enjoyed this post. My mind immediately went to conversations where I couldn't get a word in edgewise. I think God must feel like that with us sometimes. Do we talk with Him or at Him?

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dena, what a gripping truth amidst our noisy, "always connected" society...a wonderful challenge for this new week--
    a listening ear. Hugs from here!

    ReplyDelete