Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, May 20, 2013

Do Look Back!

Years ago I worked as a wilderness camp counselor in California. One of our mentors was a man who'd had training in wilderness survival.
He took us out on walks through the wilderness and instructed us about how to navigate in unfamiliar territory.
One of the the most important points he made was this:
As you make your way through the woods, always look back. That way, if you have to return the same way, the terrain won't seem unfamiliar.

  • Note landmarks that you have just passed. 
  • Make a mental note of how steep the terrain is.
  • When you look back from where you've just come, are you facing north, south, east, west?

Look back. Look back frequently. So you remember the trail.
This excellent advice from my mentor has helped me when I'm hiking up in the backcountry of the Rockies.

The Bible has something to say about looking back, too.

The Lord told the Israelites to remember their days as slaves in Egypt. (Deut. 5:15)
They were to tell their children about what God has done to free them and to provide for them.

The psalmist states: "I will remember the deeds of the Lord....I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds."(Psalm 77)

Jesus has told us to remember His death by taking communion. Whenever I do, I stop focusing on my troubles and remember how wonderful Jesus is, how much He loves me, and how much I love Him.

It is easy to get discouraged. But when I remember all that God has done for me, His answers to my prayers, His protections and provisions over the years...
then my walk with the Lord becomes secure once more.

Look back frequently.
So you remember the trail.


"Praise the Lord, O my soul;
all my inmost being, praise His holy name.
Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits." (Psalm 103:1,2)







No comments:

Post a Comment