Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Like Little Children

When I was a small child I found the world of adults—particularly my parents— gargantuan, scary, and incomprehensible.
The things they conversed about sounded like gibberish.

They could do things that seemed god-like, such as lighting a pilot light, driving a car, or going to sleep in a dark, dark room without needing a night-lite.

Who else but a god could read a newspaper and understand it, let alone enjoy its contents?

Who else but a god knew how to drive from our house to some strange place we'd never been before?

And who but a god knew the order of our days: when to get up, what to wear, and if the events of the day were going to diverge from the ordinary?

So when my god-like parents determined that it was time to take a nap, I did not question them.
When food was placed before me, it did not occur to me to ask for menu options.
If my parent-gods were pleased with me, my world felt secure.
If one of these gods was displeased, I felt shame.

A few years passed.
I went to school, socialized with my peers, and learned to do god-like things like read and write.
By ten, my parents were no longer gods. Sure, they were people to be admired, even feared at times.
But they no longer dwelt on Mt. Olympus.

I let them know by my words and body language that I no longer accepted their orders and instructions just because they proclaimed them.

I ceased to be a little child.
This is as it should be for the growing child. He or she must begin to learn how to live independently.

But in the supernatural world of the seeker of Christ, or the disciple of Christ, to be child-like is exactly what we need to be.
To recognize that the world surrounding us is gargantuan, often scary and almost always incomprehensible.
And to trust that our Father knows what is best for us.

Unlike the little child living under his parents' roof, I will never grow so mature and knowledgeable that I won't need Him.

I need to keep reminding myself that...
He is the Alpha and Omega
and I am just a wee small babe in constant need of protection and guidance.

"At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?'
He called a little child and had him stand among them. And He said: 'I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.'" (Matt. 18: 1-3 NIV Bible)


No comments:

Post a Comment