Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, June 21, 2010

Helplessness=Tenderness

Yesterday Bruce whispered for me to come and look out the back window. Meandering through the field behind our house was a doe and her tiny fawn. The little thing couldn't have been more than a week old. "Ahh, so cute." My voice got really high, just like it does when I see a cute human baby.
Just a few days before, we'd driven down the canyon on Hwy 34 on our way to Loveland. In a horse pasture we saw a mama horse and her newborn foal. It ilicited the same "Ah," response from me.
What is it about babies, animal and human, that bring out the tender feelings? Bruce says it's because they're so innocent.
I don't think so.
As a mother, I'm moved to protect and nurture any creature that seems helpless. Even a wiggling worm, driven out of the ground by a heavy rain moves me to try to put the slimy thing back where it can tunnel into the earth again.
Helplessness=tenderness.
I think that's how God is, too.
He saw man's spiritual helplessness and His parental tenderness kicked in. On a huge scale.
Oh, we're not innocent.
But we are helpless.

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him." (Psalm 103: 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment