Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, November 1, 2010

Names That Make You Wonder

After I wrote last week's post about Zzyzx Rd. I thought all weekend about other names I've encountered.

I had a friend in high school named Stormy. She got that name because her parents thought her eyes looked like the sky just before a storm.

One of my friends had a cat named Michelob. Makes you wonder.

Last year Bruce and I took a road trip through Oregon and Washington. Near the Oregon coast we passed a sign directing us to the town of Mist. Now that's an appropriate name.

Some names are just cute, like Tweedle Road. We saw that sign about a half mile beyond the Mist sign.

Or, coming up the canyon to Estes Park there's a sign for Muggin's Gulch. Well, I can sure understand the "gulch" part. But who in the world was Muggin?

There's a starkly beautiful canyon just on the south border between Utah and Arizona called Virgin Canyon. A couple of miles into it you come across the sign that I've posted: Cedar Pocket.
Huh? Do you see a single cedar tree?

You never have to wonder about the names of God. Afterall, these are names He, Himself has spoken to describe Himself.
"Lamb of God" He offered Himself as a death sacrifice.
"Alpha and the Omega" He always has been and always will be and His position in the universe is supreme.
"I AM"
"Emmanuel" God with us.
Mighty God
Everlasting Father
Prince of Peace
Son of Man

There are so many other names and each one accurately describes one of His mighty attributes. No one name, spoken in a human language can fully capture God's essence. But, unlike Tweedle Road or Muggin's Gulch, none of God's names makes me chuckle.
Instead, they fill me with awe.

"I am the Lord; that is my name!" Isaiah 42:8

No comments:

Post a Comment