Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, November 14, 2011

Is Evil the Flip-side of Good?

I watch tons of movies where the main character faces almost impossible odds. Near the end of the movie, it looks as if the tragic end is a forgone conclusion.

How to Train Your Dragon
The Karate Kid
Rocky (I,II, III, IV. . . )
Mean Girls
Superman
et al

Hollywood has taught us to see Evil as more powerful than Good. Evil holds sway throughout the movie. Then, by some serendipity, fluke, or lucky break, Good breaks free and wins.
I know that movie-goers pay good money to have their emotions whipped and tossed by the delicious tension and uncertainty concerning the hero's end.

Will Superman be able to fight the evil genius, Lex Luthor? Gee whiz, I sure hope so. But it doesn't look like that will happen. Oh, no, here comes the bad guy again. Look out! I can't look. Oh, please, somebody help Superman! That itty bitty rock from the planet Krypton that they wrapped in a chain around Superman's neck is stronger than he is.

Oh, joy of all joys, Miss Teschmacher, Lex Luthor's lusty but brainless girlfriend lifts the Krytonite chain off of Superman's massive shoulders. Freed, he blasts off to save the world and Lois Lane. Yay!
Whew! that was a close one.

Great story, but is the premise really true?
Is evil bigger than good?
It sure looks like that at times.

But, as Christians, we operate under a different set of expectations.
Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

The world (and Hollywood)  would have you think that evil is merely the flip side of good. The two balance each other out. Neither is stronger. Evil is necessary to balance out the blandness of Good. Star Trek fans will remember that James T. Kirk needed his bad side to give him strength and assertion. Otherwise, his good side could not lead or make difficult decisions.
Yin and yang.
Moonlight and sunlight.
Warmth and cold.
Evil and Good.
Opposites and equals.
Really?
Is Evil really equal in power to Good?

What does the Bible have to say?

Jesus said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades."( Rev. 1: 17,18)

"He (Jesus) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." (Col. 1: 15-17)

Evil is not the flip side of Good.
Not even close.
At the right time in history, God will seize Satan and cast Him into hell.
It's not even a contest.

I hope you believe what God says about Evil, that its days are numbered.
I hope you choose to put your trust in the all-powerful God.
There is no flip side to God and His goodness.

What do you think? How have you seen our culture twist good and evil?




No comments:

Post a Comment