Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Heaven: I'd sure like to know more about it.

I'm looking forward to reading the book, Heaven is For Real, the story of the little boy who died and went to heaven for a while before returning to his family on earth.

Can you imagine being in heaven?
Yes, beautiful, glorious, never-ending blessed state of completed salvation.
No worries, no strife, no illness.
And all in the glorious presence of the One you've been longing to meet since you responded to Him in faith.

But, imagine also all the things you've left behind.

It seems amazing that all of the things we found so urgent, so terribly important, have now vanished.
You no longer glance at your emails. Emails? What are emails?
Your unfinished projects are back there, on earth.
The manuscript you hurried to finish so you could submit it to an editor, still in your computer.
The song you planned to sing at church, un-sung.
The worship piece you've practiced, unplayed.
The meeting you planned, the party that you invited 25 people to. . .
All left behind.
You've accomplished all that you're going to accomplish on earth.

What must that be like?
You won't even bring your clothing, your makeup, your hairpiece, your false teeth?
Will you arrive naked?
No. But how does that work in heaven?
Do you line up at the uniform door and get your heavenly issue of white robes?
And then, do you form another line to receive your housing assignment and your meal ticket?

And how do you find your way around? Are there angels standing on ever street corner, ready to direct you?
Do you sleep? Do you work? Do you know people you've only read about: Moses, Peter, Mary?
Are we with Jesus every second of this eternity? Or does He go off to do important things and leave us for a while?
Gosh, I'd sure love to know what heaven is like.
I only know it's real.
Because Jesus said so. And He doesn't lie.
Jesus must really love us a lot, a whole, whole lot to prepare a place so incredibly wonderful that we can't even conceive of it.
He said, "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you." (John 14:2)

I know I won't get any closer to knowing what heaven is like if I keep thinking and wondering.
But it sure helps me keep all these earthly things in perspective.
Maranatha!
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dena -

    I just ordered Heaven is for Real. My Mom wants to read it, so I'll have to wait until she finishes. :)

    There are no luggage racks on a hearse. We'll also leave behind pain, sickness, and every other nasty thing that challenges us here on this earth.

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete