Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, February 6, 2012

Just Knowing He's Near

It sure seems as if bad things happen whenever my husband goes away on a business trip.
Last week, the printer crashed and no matter what I did, that darn machine would not spit ink onto the white paper. (Yes, there was plenty of ink and, yes, the printer was connected and turned on.)
Then, since Bruce would be away for the entire week, he had to sign a power-of-attorney so I could close on our re-fi of our house. That was 2 1/2 hours of me signing his name, my name, and the phrase "attorney in fact," then my name again and the date.
Over and over and over on a two-inch stack of paper.
I told Bruce, "Since my hand is now crippled, you owe me dinner at a nice restaurant!"
Then Thursday night, a snow storm dumped about sixteen inches of snow. Bruce wasn't back yet from his business trip, so little ol' me with my bad back was the shoveler of our long, long driveway. (Every year we say we're going to get a snow-blower, and every year we decide it's not worth it. Are we idiots?)
I'm not sure if events like these pile up and dump on me when Bruce is away.

Or, maybe it just seems like that.

Maybe when Bruce is around, negative things also happen, but somehow, it doesn't seem so daunting.
When Bruce is home, he's readily available to fix the printer.
When Bruce is home, the scary noises in or around the house at night don't bother me at all.
When Bruce is home, just knowing that I can confer with him, share my perplexity, receive a hug, or a compassionate look, or feel his human breath behind my shoulder. . .
diminishes the size and threat of my little crises.

And so it is with my heavenly Father's presence.
When I refuse to focus on Him, my nemeses appear unconquerable, and I feel completely alone.
I'm not, of course.
But when I gaze at Him each day, then life's little trials are shared by Him.
He's with me, within me, around me even when I do not feel Him.
But reminding myself of this fact changes my attitude.
And my level of stress.

"Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when You walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's cook makes me feel secure." (Psalm 23: 4 The Message Bible)






No comments:

Post a Comment