Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Quick! Use "Podium" In A Sentence

Hi all writer friends, and all my other friends.
Today I'd like to --ahem --stand on my soap box and lecture on the word, "PODIUM."
Having fallen off some podiums during my singing career. . . and seeing lots of other conductors and singers fall or nearly take a tumble, I can say quite unequivocally that a podium is something that you put your feet on. (I think it originates from the Greek word for foot, but I could be wrong.)
Why am I lecturing on this word?
Because I see it used all the time --incorrectly -- for the thing that you stand behind where you put your notes for speaking, or your glass of water.
That's a LECTERN, or a stand.
In the past 12 months, I think I've counted at least ten references, by both Christian and secular authors using the term, podium, when they actually mean lectern. I'm really surprised so many editors don't catch this faux pas.
So. . . thought this might help, just in case you're thinking of using "podium" in one of your articles.

By the way, I just caught one of my own grammatical errors in an earlier blog. I said, "None are famous."
Er, I think I should have said, "None (singular) is famous."

And now for some fun stuff.
What are your grammatical pet peeves?
Mine is when I see something written in which "your" is used when the writer actually means the  contraction, "you're." Drives me crazy.

 I know English, like all languages is constantly evolving. But it sure seems as if our language is dumbing down due to the texting and other abbreviated forms of English usage necessary for swift communication.

Tell me what grammatical mistakes make your hackles rise?
Either that, or can you tell me what is wrong with the following sentence?:
"If I was a crocodile, I'd swim up and bite your leg!"


(I'd love to share the results of my readers' pet peeves in Thursday's blog.)

"He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend." (Prov. 22:11 NIV Bible)

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dena, for the lesson on podium. When I see that picture, I visualize a lectern. I must get that idea straight in my head. Perhaps thinking about the Olympics will do it. They always refer to the winners going to the podium. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I like your Olympics reference. I have several pictures of my daughter standing on a podium with her jiu jitsu medals.

    ReplyDelete