Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My "Joy" Ornament

My favorite Christmas ornament is one that my son made when he was in grade school.
It's a piece of thick paper, about four inches long, painted red and green and dusted with glitter. The word "JOY" is printed across the length of the paper.
I always hang it about eye-level where its message cannot be missed by anyone who happens to examine my Christmas tree.

Is there a better word to describe the emotion we feel at the advent of Jesus Christ?

Out of darkness comes the
 light of God
 in the form of a baby.
What joy to be able to know God.

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light,
on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." Is. 9:2

Not only does His advent bring us light,
but  
reconciliation.
To know that Jesus Christ makes it possible for you, for me to get right with God.
What joy!
"Since we have now been justified by His blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through Him!" Romans 5:9

To know God, to be reconciled to him...yes!
But not only that:
to receive an
eternal inheritance
 that can never be taken away.
"the Father...has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light." Col. 1:12
Nothing can separate me from His love. Ever.

My son's "JOY" ornament reminds me each year to focus on the incredible gift God has offered...and that I have accepted.

  1. To know God,
  2. to be at peace with Him,
  3. to know that nothing—ever— can separate me from His love.

Mankind's greatest needs answered by Christ's advent.
JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment