Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, October 12, 2009

Perseverance

My friends, I'm going through a grand funk about my writing. Did God really call me to write? I used to think so. Was I wrong? Did I mistake God's direction? Am I wasting my time doing something that will have no lasting value in other people's lives?

I know I'm not alone. Even if you're not a writer you, doubtless, have struggled with discouragement in your area of mninistry.
Let me encourage you, just as I am attempting to encourage myself. Please read on.

"Problems are God-allowed to prove (or develop) your character." (from a sermon by Pastor Les Darrow)

Luke 8:15: "But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a good crop."

"Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it, but one thing I do: forgetting what is behind, and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Phil.3:13-14)

"We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

To those of you who strive to do something excellent, something which you used to know God called you to do, remember:
Your LONG-TERM GOALS (do you have them?) will carry you through short-term disappointments.
God is the Great Comforter and the Great Counselor. If He has called you to do some work for His Kingdom, look to Him and His Word and He will bring you encouragement.

  • Read the Word. Let it fill your mind.
  • Ask God to work His will in your life.
  • Sing songs of praise to Him.
  • Commit your work to God.
  • Trust Him for the outcome, even if it will be different than you envision.
There, I feel better already.

"Now to Him is who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Eph. 3:20,21)

God bless you.

3 comments:

  1. Your message is uplifting to those who are striving at anything and don't see the fruits - yet.

    I think of Abraham, who waited for his promise of a son for 25 years.
    And David, who was annointed king, and did not take the throne until 15 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Am I willing to wait 25 years for a child?
    And how about Noah, being instructed to build an ark? Great lessons for us. Thanks, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dena,
    Rom 11:29 says: For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. KJV
    So whether we use them or not they are still there. I am so glad you were able to encourage yourself.
    I have been having a dry spell too so this was an encouragement to me.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete