Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Sunday, October 18, 2009

You're Not the Boss of Me

I think I don't think that I'm more capable than God.

After all, He is the Allmighty: Omnipresent, Omniscient, Omnipotent. He is the Ancient of Days, existing before time began. He was, is and ever shall be.

I'm. . . well, my life began in 1953 in San Francisco, California. Born to a school teacher father and a stay-at-home mother, youngest of five children, raised to be a good girl, conservatory-trained musician, graduate degrees in music and education, turned writer. My life a little blip in eternity, a bit of knowlege and wisdom gained that can be gained in fifty-five years.

I taught my children "actions speak louder than words." And if I am brutually honest I will admit that, yes, I really do think I know more than God. I know that because my lack of prayer says I am capable of directing my affairs without consulting God.
Here are some variations of the "I know better" attitude:
"Dena do it" 18 months old
"Me do it myself" 2+ years
"You're not the boss of me" 4 years
"Who made you the president? 4th grade
"Oh, yeah?" 13
"Leave me alone" 16
"I'll call you if I need anything" college age
"I did it my way" Frank Sinatra and me

Seems kind of funny when you look at it through the brief timeline from toddlerhood to adulthood. We recognize those attempts at independence as stages that the child must pass through in order to establish him/herself as an autonomous individual with the desire to direct his own thoughts, actions and destiny.

But Jesus said you must become like a little child to enter the Kingdom of heaven. Not childish. But childlike. A child recognizes that Mommy or Daddy is bigger, stronger, more capable. He looks to his parent to supply his need, to protect him, shelter him, nurture him.
May I continue to realize that I am very small and God is very, very big.

Therefore, I come to him in prayer seeking mercy, justice, help, counsel, fellowship. And if I'm a wise child, I'll do it daily.
But there are more reasons why I don't pray. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. I like your mini time line. Brings it down to the basics. Have any of us made it through without those very comments? I doubt it.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something comforting in thinking that all we need is ourselves. I think it comes from a fear that God will let us down, like people have. It takes time to see that God never disappoints.
    Thank you for writing this, Dena.
    Denise Miller Holmes
    redhotread.com

    ReplyDelete