Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Flower That Nobody Sees

These cornflowers rested in the sunshine off the beaten track near Lake Estes.
Doubtless, they are gone by now; this was last spring when I took the photo.
It probably seems strange to you, but wildflowers always make me think of my own life.
I suppose it the fleeting nature of their beauty and their life.
Nobody planted it.
Nobody cultivates it.
If a wild creature comes and chomps on it, nobody shoos the pest away.
It doesn't exist so that a human can come by and admire it.

But there it sits, displaying its beauty, attracting bees, sending its DNA on to some other place in the wilderness so that another flower -- sun-kissed and wind-caressed --will grow for no one to see.

No one?

How about the Creator who lovingly fashioned the flower's delicate petals, its graceful stalk, the perfect elliptical form of its leaves.
Is it a small thing to exist to bring God enjoyment?

Sometimes I wrestle with my job as a writer. I think, why do I spend so much time working on this craft, trying to come up with words that will encourage, uplift, make one think, point out God?
Does anybody notice? Are my words doing anything at all? That old, silly question: if a tree falls in the forest and no one's there to hear it fall, does it make a sound?
I always thought the answer to that question was obvious. Of course, because God witnesses the fall of the tree He created. You don't need a human around to record the event by scratching with a stick on a piece of stone or a leaf or a piece of parchment.

So, like the flower, do I exist and do I have any purpose if no one's there to see and approve my work?
Is it a small thing if --even if no one reads anything I write -- that God sits on my shoulder each day, witnessing my effort to bring glory to Him?
Are you like that flower in the wilderness, also. Does your faithful work each day go un-witnessed?
God sees and He records each faithful deed.
Bringing Him glory --whether or not anyone sees the fruit of your work --IS the work.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward." (Col.3:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment