Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Monday, December 6, 2010

Yep, I'm Talking to You!

Bruce snapped this photo from his downstairs office. The big bull elk was snarfing down some tasty grass when his ears alerted him to the whir of my husband's digital camera.
Elk always make me laugh when they try to look at you straight on. Their eyes are set low on the sides of their long heads --- perfect for seeing behind and sideward ---for catching any movement that might signal the presence of a predator.
Mr. Elk was only a few feet from the sliding glass window on the lower level of our house. He swung his head up, grass still hanging off the sides of his mouth, and seemed to say, "You talkin' to me?"
Yes, Mr. Elk, we're talking to you. We want to capture your image and put it on our computer. We enjoy you, we admire your beauty, your magnificent antlers, your thick mane, the size of you. When you look straight at us, and we look back, we kind of feel as if we have a relationship with you.
Sometimes, like Mr. Elk, I am also caught unaware by the presence of an admirer: my Heavenly Father.
I seek Him each day because He has what I need. I have a relationship with Him and so I long to see Him, to be close, to listen, to speak.
But I sometimes forget that He also seeks me, loves to watch me, enjoys me, delights in our relationship.
Just like the elk, I go about my daily activities and am startled at times by the sudden awareness that God is very, very near.
These are the times when I raise my (spiritual) head and ask, "Lord, are You talking to me?"

"The Lord delights in those who fear Him, who put their trust in His unfailing love." (Psalm 147:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment