Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Like General Robert E. Lee, I Surrender!

I've got this great little book called, The Book of Ages, by J.F. Bierlein. It's a compilation of names of famous people and what they achieved at various ages.
For instance:
Actor Humphrey Bogart became an infant celebrity at the age of one. His mother's painting of him was adopted by a baby food manufacturer, so his face was plastered on all the baby food jars.

At age 25, Elizabeth ll became queen of England after the death of her father, King George VI.

At 58, General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union General, Ulysses S. Grant, ending the Civil War in 1865.

General Robert E. Lee surrendered.
How is that an achievement?
Many would say surrendering is defeat.
After all, Lee had to surrender his personal dream of an independent South.
Certainly, surrendering to the Union brought huge changes for the South --economic, social, political, moral -- and to the nation as a whole.
Great things happened: slavery ended, the Union was preserved, no more lives were lost in the terrible civil conflict.
Hard things happened: families grieved, the South struggled to recover.

Victory feels wonderful. Defeat feels terrible.
But defeat is sometimes the more powerful outcome.

When we say "I surrender" to God, then the work of recovery and rebuilding starts to happen. . . God's way.
Instead of bitterness and thoughts of revenge, God begins a transformation of the heart.
But we have to surrender our own dreams and let God work His dream in us.
Then we will begin to experience life as it should have been all along:
  1. under the Lord's direction
  2. for His glory and His Kingdom
  3. in His power
  4. experiencing His blessing

 "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him." (2 Chronicles 16:9 NIV)


"I surrender all,
I surrender all.
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all." (VanderVenter/Weeden)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dena -

    Congrats on being named an ACFW semifinalist! I gave you a shout-out on Facebook.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. I'm truly honored.

    ReplyDelete