Contact Me

If you enjoy my blog and would like to contact me, you may reach me at this email: dena.netherton@gmail.com

Some of my stories are published in:
A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters (Adams Media, 2009)
Chicken Soup: What I Learned from the Dog (2009)
Love is a Flame (Bethany House, 2010)
Extraordinary answers to Prayer (Guideposts, 2010)
Love is a Verb (Bethany House, 2011)
Big Dreams from Small Spaces (Group Publishing, 2012)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

What Would You Face to Save Your Child?

My husband and I were watching a commercial the other day that gave us both the "willies."
It's that one where the young, fit couple are rope-climbing up these straight up and down, narrow rock formations somewhere in the desert southwest. They're already hundreds of feet above the desert valley floor. The young woman finally reaches the top. AND STANDS UP.
I turned to my husband, "Would you do that?"
He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "No!"
Bruce didn't even have to ask me. He knows I hate heights. No matter how many times I've seen that commercial, it still makes my body tingle with anxiety.
I would never dare to climb those rocky structures. Not in a million years. I'd get so dizzy with anxiety-induced vertigo, I'd topple off before I even reached the top.
But What If?
I thought about that commercial this morning. Of course I'd never dare to attempt such a climb.
Then my "what-if" imagination kicked in. What if someone else's life depended on my scaling the cliff? What if some thugs kidnapped my daughter or one of my sons and told me that the only way they'd let my child stay alive would be if I climbed those rocks and reached the top?
Would I do it?
Now I didn't even have to hesitate.
Of course I'd attempt the climb.
With that threat hanging over my child, I don't think I'd even be frightened.
And I'd make it to the top.
I'd do anything to save my child.

If you're a parent, you understand.
Your love for your child is so great that you'd face any danger, even sacrifice your own life to save him or her.

Being a parent helps me know (in a human way) how our Heavenly Father cares for us, His children.
As terrible as the death that Jesus faced on the cross, He willingly sacrificed Himself to save us.

Thank You, thank You, thank You, Lord, for giving Your life to save mine. You chose to face God's wrath in order to save me from facing His eternal wrath. What a wonderful Savior!

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment